Friday, April 24, 2009

Thank you all for a very Feliz Aniversario.


I have had some good birthday's in my quarter decade... 

Some of you will remember the middle school blowouts we had partying inside the middle school or perhaps you celebrated as a kid like I did at Macdonalds (because nothing says "Congrats you survived another year!" like a happy meal and a few more pounds towards to childhood obesity). 

Today's celebration, however, takes the cake. (excuse the pun... it's my birthday after all)

In the Gerber family we have a saying, which was coined by my wise and astute older sister during some forced family gathering. It goes... Holidays are nothing but expectation and disappoints - Meaning because of past bad experiences we try not to let our family celebrations fall into the routine of tradition and the pitfalls of stressful planning and big productions. We just try to enjoy each other and relax whenever we can. Case in point... Our one birthday party in April is actually for 5 people. This is a 4 hour mass orgy of food, wrapping paper, toys, and play.  That's how we like it intense and fast. (think about it... orgy+intense+fast=sex joke) hint: If you're not laughing... give it a try. It's my birthday after all. 

However, today I was not 1 of 5 birthdays being celebrated. Today, I was the only birthday being celebrated (to my surprise). And today was anything but a disappointment... the LOVE poured out for me today from my family, friends, and CLM family kicked my expectation square in the testicles and sent them soaring through my intestines and straight into the bleeding chambers of my heart. (Imagery, kids, is my gift to you... it's your unbirthday after all - except you Bryan). 

I didn't tell many people at here in Brazil that it was my birthday because I have only been with CLM for 2 weeks, and I felt selfish brining it up. So my day started like any other day... However, mid- morning I opened the birthday cards that my family sent along with me to Brazil. Now, I am not one for mushy birthday wishes and hallmark cards, but drawings from my nieces, a clever gag gift, and pictures from our  last party (Easter/5 Birthdays) left me watery eyed. I felt like I was home. I knew that I was loved, and that was the perfect birthday moment. 

So I continued my work, play, play, work routine and then Aline (one of the older girls - who was sick and in bed) said "Feliz Aniversario", and them Mary and Mike gave me birthday hugs and Brazilian coffee (It's the thought that moved me...but the coffee helps :) then at lunch everyone - all 34 kids, the missionaries, and the workers sang happy birthday to me in Portuguese and tried to get me to jump in the pond (maybe as tradition, maybe as a joke, maybe both). Sheesh... I'm tired just describing this... 

And then tonight after the talent show, Bethany made cake for the duel celebration of my exit from the womb 25 years ago and Jake and Amanda's arrival here in Brazil. There were 5 candles on the cake and before I blew any out Maria (our 2 year old) did 4 of them for me - see the picture below. As if that wasn't enough... Mary Gibson and the CLM family gave me gifts, which were all perfect in there own way. They were all unexpected but amazing!
  1. A t-shirt w/ guitar logo - my cloths are all dirty at the moment.  
  2. Brazil sandals - I am told they are most comfortable sandals ever.  
  3. Brazilian candy - yummy, enough said. 
  4. A framed picture of the CLM family - beautiful and perfect souvenir.
  5. A CLM calendar - so every day in the future I can smile and realize I'm not as tired as I was them. 
During this mass celebration... I was hounded by the kids for pictures and hugs and Feliz Aniversario-s... it was an awesome moment - made perfect by being prayed for by the whole group all holding hands together. I don't care what your religious affiliation - when 40 people hold hands around a table and pray for you - you KNOW God in the room. 

So overwhelmed yet? I am, but (like an infomercial)  wait there's more! 

Finally, I walk upstair to write this blog post and in my inbox are 32 new messages - every one of them was one of you wishing me a happy birthday. Thank you. 

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Obrigado. Obrigado. Obirgado. Obrigado. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you and you and you and you and you....

I am without words (We'll we know that's not true, but you get the point) grateful for my amazing friends and family. 

Thank you all so much. I love you all. (Muito obrigado. Eu amoro voces todo.)
Pat.





1 comment:

from Seabase!! said...

that's a birthday baller; Jump in that pond!!