Sunday, June 28, 2009

Respect is Enough


A quick soccer update before bed. The USA lost to Brazil 3-2 in the final of the Confederation Cup. 

Yup, we lost. 
I just hung my head, heaved out a sigh, and pushed an "urg" sound through my clenched teeth after I wrote "we lost". I 'urg' not because we got smacked with another 3-0 embarrassement. I 'urg' because we should have won...we played like a world class team (for the first 45 minutes anyway).

Scoring/Celebration Recap. 

Goal #1 - Dempsey for the old USofA. 
The U.S. Scored the first goal early in the game. I was still playing in our weekly Sunday pickup soccer game outside. I heard the burst of cheering and clapping from the living room, and I assumed Brazil had struck first... and this was going to a very long game for the U.S and me. Even the other 11 Brazilian men on the soccer field cheered for the assumption that Brazil had scored. (Note that these men didn't really care about finishing our pickup game to watch Brazil play. Why you ask? The didn't need to watch. They all just knew Brazil would easily beat the USA) So when word floated down from the upstairs balcony that the US had scored - and not Brazil - there was moment of pained confusion like the law of gravity had just been broken  and the soccer ball was floating in front of our eyes. Eventually, everyone's gawking stares found their way to me and my shocked, wide-eyed smile. 

At first I didn't even celebrate. In disbelief, I just ran off the field. Without a word, I just ran up the windy staircase, through the sliding doors, and jumped over two kids so I could see the score for myself. There it was...the replay, the celebration, the score 1-0 for the USofA.  I spun around to face the living room full of Brazil fans and just stood silently with my arms straight up in the air for what felt like a minute and then ended my gloating with a dashing bow. As I lifted my head, I was hit with at least three pillows, a blanket, and the death stares of 15-20 people. 

Goal #2 - Donovan for the old USofA
After the first goal, the atmosphere in the living room was all giggles, teasing, and fun. After all, what is a 1-0 deficit to a Brazillian team? Then, the 26th minute happened... Landon Donovan happened...and the best US goal I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing happened. 

Notice the goal starts with a Brazillian player making a bad pass to lose the ball. Notice that the U.S. countered with quick, precise passing. Notice that the goal was setup by Landon Donovan's deadly accurate and inspired first touch on the ball. Notice that Landon wears the #10, which was made famous by guy who scored alot of goals like that...a brazillian man...named Pele. After watching Donovan's goal legitimize the U.S. lead at 2-0, you had to ask yourself "Which of one of these teams is the creative, fun-to-watch, world-class power again? 

A few minutes after Donovan's goal, Geovone stated in disgust "Estados Unidos ten nao bom jogadors!"(translation: United States has no good players!) I tapped him the shoulder, pointed at the score, and said "Pergunta su goalairo se Estados Unidos ten bom jodadors." (translation: Ask your Goal Keeper if the United States has good players). This was a good and slightly scary moment to be an American living in Brazil. 

When the ball hit the back of the net, the mood in the living room turned ugly. It was silent...funeral silent. I danced around the couch and then ran outside and shouted to the heavens (and to the pickup game players) "Dois e Zero Estados Unidos!" For the rest of the first half, rage and frustration was manifested in pillow throwing, door slamming, Portuguese ranting, and (my favorite) blank, disbelieving sad faces. 
Goal #3,#4,#5 - Not for the old USofA
The second half was a blur of Brazilian possession, poor defending, explosive celebration (but not from me) and pillows hitting the back of my head, which mostly shook side to side silently crying "Noooooooo!". Even Mike and Mary shed their American Flag t-shirts and showed their true colors - yellow, green, and blue - the colors of Brazil jerseys. As sad of a second half as it was for U.S. soccer, I actually enjoyed it. Unlike our emotionally volatile, fanatic kids, I can accept my team being scored on again, and again, and again. I loved watching the kids dance and sing and jump and run after every Brazillian goal. I loved them teasing me with a thumbs pointed down and tongues stuck out. I loved the boys beaming, mischievous/victorious smiles my direction. I loved all 45 minutes of that dreadful second half...

The above article about the game declares  - Respect on the international stage is not enough for the US anymore. we want/need to win. However, from my perspective as an American living in the world's greatest soccer playing country - the respect is enough (until the 2010 world cup anyway). 

Bia Niote Gerbs


1 comment:

Annie said...

I think you should take a stab at writing an entire blog entry in Portuguese. Just for fun.